Sunday, March 11, 2012

DIY Jewelry Holder



As my best friend's birthday approached, I had no idea what to get her... so I (of course) turned to Pinterest for an answer.  I scoped out things she pinned that I could possibly make and landed on this cute idea!  But rather than paying $35 + shipping, I thought I'd hit up the 50% off Hobby Lobby deals and make it a DIY project.


Supplies Needed:

  • Wood with sawtooth hooks on back (or you can add those on yourself)
  • 5 knobs (depending on length of wood)
  • Hacksaw
  • Drill & drill bits
Make sure you find knobs that compliment each other well and the more they "pop", the better :-)  Hobby Lobby had a huge selection of knobs!  

I must admit, this project is not for the faint of heart!  I had to seek out the assistance of my coworkers since I didn't have the necessary tools (and didn't want to drop $150 on a drill).  Luckily, I work with some perfectionists who did a great (dare I say perfect) job.

So once you have the materials, here's what you need to do...
Step 1:  Measure out the height of the wood
Step 2:  Using a pencil & a ruler/yardstick, draw a horizontal straight line across the center of wood (height divided in half)
Step 3:  Measure out the length of the wood
Step 4:  Divide the length by the number of knobs and mark a circle at each evenly spaced distance
Step 5:  Drill a hole just large enough for the bolt to go through at every circle
Step 6:  With the bolt all the way pushed through, use a permanent marker to mark the bolt where it hits the back side of the wood
Step 7:  Pull the bolts back out of the wood and use the hacksaw to cut at the marked area on the bolt
Step 8:  Drill an inset hole through the back of the wood deep enough for the nut to rest inside the wood
Step 9:  Place knobs through holes, screw the nuts onto the bolt
Step 10:  Admire your new jewelry hanger because you're done! 




1 comment:

  1. and it looks absolutely wonderful hanging on my wall! :)

    ReplyDelete