Sunday, March 4, 2012

No Sew Tutu Tutorial



I work in a hospital that always has the cutest items in the gift shop window.  During Valentine's Day season, they had a tutu for a little girl that one of my coworkers just adored... for $38.  Yikes!  Well this month, her daughter is turning 1 so I decided to have a little DIY project (which I always love).


The tutu is super easy to make and just turned out so great that I'm going to have to make another for my niece ;-)


Supplies Needed:
  • 2 rolls of tulle (6" x 24 yds)
  • 3/4" elastic
  • Flower pin (optional)
  • Scissors
  • Needle & thread

Step 1: Decide what size waistband you will be working with, and how long you want the tutu to be.  I decided to make the waistband 17" at first but cut it down to about 15" after I got to working on it.

Step 2: Sew waistband ends together.

Step 3: Measure out tulle to 2x the desired length.  I used 28" for a tall 1 year old.  Cut strips of tulle at the proper length.  I measured and cut all of the tulle, but had some excess strips after that I will use to make another tutu for my niece.


Step 4: Fold tulle strip in half, wrapping around waistband by pulling the fabric through the loop.  Pull the knot tight.  Repeat this step alternating colors


Step 5:  Add pin to waistline and voila - you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment